During a review of the 2017 Myrtleville to Church Bay event, it was noted that some participants commented that there were only prizes for first to third in male and female categories. Other boys and girls felt left out and went home feeling sad that they didn’t get a prize. “Other swims give everyone a prize”, said one commenter. “I deserve a medal too”, said
Pat Lowry another sad boy.
Responding to this feedback, the non-committee of the Church Bay swim conducted a call for voluntary sponsors, in order that an expanded range of prizes would be on offer. While we won’t have one for everybody in the audience, there will be more winning swimmers. We are delighted to announce four new categories, prizes and sponsors.
Given that this is a new departure for our event, we felt it was appropriate to allow each sponsor to nominate – or indeed, invent – the category for which their prize would be awarded. The criteria for each winner were decided by the various sponsors.
The additional prizes to be competed for on July 3rd are:
- Category One: First female swimmer named Sheehy who has a sister named Carmen
- Prize: Romantic night for two in Charlie’s Bar on Union Quay
- Sponsor: Denis Condon
- Category Two: First male breast stroke swimmer from Barnsley who knows his way round the snap and sup in KC’s
- Prize: 1 year subscription to Weight Watchers
- Sponsor: Cáit Ní Ghréilligh
- Category Three: First mustachioed Alcatraz swimmer named John, who helps out Penny Dinners a lot
- Prize: Voucher entitling winner to pay for two weeks holiday in Lanzarote
- Sponsor: Martina Kiely
- Category Four: First brave boy named Pat who has a brother called Eoin and does paramedicy stuff
- Prize: A big hug from his fan club
- Sponsor: Denise Lowry
We are hopeful that we will receive further similar no-strings-attached sponsorship offerings. Great to see the generosity of our sponsors.
Don’t miss your chance to win! Get entered now: