Thanks to Siobhan Russell for her fantastic work, as always. For those of you who may not have access to these on Facebook, click on the link to see all the photos from the night:
RNLI Myrtleville-Church Bay 2018 Photos
Here’s a picture of the winner, Neddie Irwin.
Neddie Irwin with Gary Heslin, RNLI and Bernard Lynch
Oh wait, that’s an old one. That was 2013 when he did it in 33.22 and finished 18th – the youngest swimmer in the event. He knocked a bit off that time this year to 22.15. He must have done a bit of training for the past five years. And stretching.
Roll on 2019. Hopefully without any wind-enforced postponements.
Thanks to all the volunteers who helped and the sponsors – the RNLI, Coast Guard, Gardai, Order of Malta, Funkytown, Sports Timing, Port of Cork, Centra Crosshaven, Cronin’s Pub, The Edge Sports, Happy Pear and numerous fantastic individuals without whom nothing could run. All of your time and efforts are greatly appreciated. Thanks to you all.
From Ray McArdle:
The 8th Annual Courtmacsherry Lifeboat Swim takes place at Blind Strand, near the picturesque fishing village of Courtmacsherry at 2.00pm on Saturday, July 21st. Courtmacsherry is a 45 minute drive from the Bandon Road roundabout. The swim will be well sign posted from the village. Please leave plenty of time for parking and registration. The safety briefing will take place at 1.30pm.
The swim course starts on the beach at Blind Strand and proceeds anti-clockwise around 2 markers.
Participants can choose between 1 lap(1.5K) or 2 laps(3K). Swimmers who elect to do 2 laps will run/walk a short distance on the beach prior to starting lap 2.
The Courtmacsherry volunteers will provide soup and sandwiches for all participants and volunteers. This year I am delighted to announce that IT@Cork Skillnet will continue to be our sponsors for the event. IT@Cork Skillnet will be providing the first 200 swimmers registered with a generous goody bag. Really nice gifts inside each one.
We have also secured the improved parking again this year.
Registration this year is again via Active – just click here – and closes on Thursday, July 19th at 11.00pm. Entry fee is €15 online. If the event maximum of 250 swimmers is not met, I will accept some entries on the day. On the day fee will be €25 and all proceeds go to the Courtmacsherry Lifeboat. Swim Ireland membership is not mandatory for this swim.
If you know of anyone who would like to volunteer to kayak, please have them contact me directly.
Any further updates will be posted on the event web page on Facebook and emailed to those registered.
I look forward to seeing you for a fun swim on July 21st.
All entries from Tuesday’s swim still stand. Thanks to those who have advised they can’t make the rescheduled event tonight. We hope to see you next year!
All entrants will receive an email this morning with the participant information. It is posted here also for convenience – just click the link.
Rescheduled RNLI Myrtleville to Church Bay Swim 2018 – Participant Information
Green for Go – Registration from 18.00 this evening, Thursday, July 5th.
The following was anonymously received (from Joanne H) this morning.
Myrtleville Musketeers, a renowned swimming fundamentalist group, have succeeded in capturing solo attemptee Brendan O’Brien. Brendan, a renowned Sandycover, is considered a valuable hostage in ongoing negotiations with Ned and his band of doggy paddling renegades. The Musketeers are striving to bring swimming back to the masses by being all inclusive, going so far as to offer them food and showers after their lap of the dazzling Dutchman.
In exchange for Brendan, The Myrtlevillains are willing to accept custody of 50, 3 legged feral goats, one misshapen Island, the installation of swimming lanes in Myrtleville by the Sandycove “swimmers” and maintenance of same, as well as the renaming of CDW to Myrtleville Fun Swim Camp with Cake.
Offers for Brendan’s release can be made via the triple axis of swimming evil: the Myrtle Turtles, Myrtleville Selkies and Myrtleville Musketeers.
Rescheduled swim on Thursday, July 5th at 8pm.
The Easterly wind is too strong and not forecast to calm in time for tonight’s swim. The Safety Committee have cancelled tonight’s swim. We are going to reschedule for this week on Thursday at 20.00. Registration from 18.00.
All entries still valid.
A final decision on the swim proceeding will be made by 13.30 tomorrow, Tuesday, July 3rd. The Easterly wind looks like it will ease in time for the swim route to be swimmable for all participants.