Congratulations to the Minkies, who completed their North Channel relay on Friday, July 2nd. Start point was Donaghadee (about 15k south of Bangor). It was a four-person team – Marie Watson, Brenda Sisk, Ann Smyth and Fiona Coleman. Ann finished the swim in Scotland after 19 hours 33 mins.
Darren Morrissey was on the boat with them and gave us this short summary of a huge achievement:
I was on the boat with the girls for their NC swim on Friday. They played an absolute blinder. Unbelievable from the four of them. They did themselves proud. They only wore Myrtleville hats all day. They had about 24 hours notice to get to Bangor for the swim start. No accommodation booked and everything to do. Pre-swim fuel was wine and chips 😂. They were all immense. They found the strength to finish a grueling day with a smile on their faces and broke into Scotland.
A fantastic achievement! Well done to all involved. By the way, it’s unclear if Ann cursed on reaching Scotland (one of the “Thank F@#K for that” variety), but I’d bet she did.
June 23rd, 6.30pm: Eilis Burns will be bringing a group of new open water swimmers to Myrtleville on Wednesday, June 23rd at 18:30.
Any of the regular Myrtleville swimmers who can be around that evening to give any help would be appreciated. We need strong swimmers used to the sea to join the group for the swim and watch out for anyone who needs some support. Also, any kayakers or SUPs available would be very welcome.
Please come down if you can. Remember what your own first swim was like and help out.
The RNLI swim to Church Bay won’t go ahead on July 8th. For any swim this year, it’s more than likely that we would have 200+ people on the beach, so that means waiting until after July 20th, at least, to run any event.
As previously notified, we aren’t going to have a timed event this year. We have now also decided to try to tie in a swim event with the arrival of the new buoys (supposedly mid-July, based on latest updates from the supplier). That means (shock/horror), we won’t be having an event that goes from Myrtleville to Church Bay. Instead, we will have a more relaxed lap-of-the-buoys event. We will probably have a bucket for donations to the RNLI, but will not have pre-event entries.
Anyone who has entered through Nifty Entries for July 8 will receive an email in the coming week or so about their options on the entry fee paid.
We will probably schedule the event at a week’s notice, once the buoys are in and the weather is favourable.
For the swim to Church Bay – tune in next year 🙂
Pat and Antoinette finished – in the pre-Covid days.
We don’t have certainty about whether our planned event on July 8th will be allowed to go ahead, or if we – more likely – will have to defer to later in the year. However, we do still plan to run it at the earliest possible opportunity – note the positivity 🙂 – and have decided we’re going to do so as a non-timed swim. That will allow us more flexibility in organising and not hold our timing partners to a date, when we can’t guarantee it will run.
Whenever restrictions are lifted and it’s safe to do so, we aim to organise the swim this year as more of a “welcome back” for all of us deprived of our time in the sea, rather than a race. For now, please stay safe and observe the health guidance.
The weather looks OK for Saturday morning – Westerly wind, so Myrtleville will be sheltered and no rain forecast. We are looking for as many swimmers, friends and family on the beach as possible this Saturday morning donating €10 (or more, if you like!) to fund the cost of the new Spar buoys being installed in February. Come down, have a dip or just a chat and donate to help with this safety improvement for all swimmers.
Looking forward to seeing a big crowd on Saturday morning. We will re-check the weather tomorrow, Friday, just to be sure!
Everyone agrees that the buoys were a fantastic addition to Myrtleville this year. We have learned, however, that the power of the waves near the Dutchman in particular need stronger buoys. Spar buoys have been identified as the most likely to work for us. They are marketed as “almost indestructible” in surf.
The intention would be that these buoys would be in all year-round. The total cost of six of these buoys will be €3,412. We have secured €1,000 in funding already. We now plan to raise the rest by getting €10 a head from up to 250 swimmers on a weekend morning in Myrtleville in December. We’ll watch the forecast and confirm the date on the Thursday beforehand. It’s not going to be an organised swim or race, just lots and lots of us on the beach, committed to raising the funds needed for all of our benefit.
Bring coffee, bring cakes – or not. If anyone wants to give more than €10, feel free- there are bound to be some maintenance costs in the years to come. More details to follow, but be aware it’s going to happen. It has to – we’ve already ordered them and they’re being manufactured for installation in February. We know we’ll get the support, so why wait?
My name is Jen Marshall and I am contacting you on behalf of Special Olympics Munster.
For the past 2 years Special Olympics has organised a fundraising event in Kinsale called the Polar plunge where we ask people to bravely jump into icy waters whilst raising money for Special Olympics Munster.
This year’s plunge is being organised by a group of 10 enthusiastic Special Olympic athletes and volunteers and we hope to have family, friends and supporters all jump off the main pier in Kinsale town centre for charity.
I know that the Myrtleville Swimmers have been extremely kind over the years with your support and we would be extremely grateful members might consider supporting our Athletes once again by taking part in the event on the day.
The event takes place on the main pier in Kinsale (beside the Trident Hotel) on the Saturday 30th of November from 10.30. We would be honoured if people might consider taking part after their Saturday morning swim at 9 or even as an alternative to it, we would welcome all with open arms. There is an early bird registration for which I have embedded a link below – or people can turn up and register on the day.